New Router/Modem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Solidflip, May 5, 2017.

1. Hey guys, its ya boy....uhhh... solidflip back at you live with another question.

Its time for a new router! mine is absolute shit and the drops are happening more frequently. So im in the market, any suggestions?

2. Need more info..

Service provider, Type of service.. Do you need wifi? Is your computer hooked up with a wire? Is the microwave next to you computer for easy access at snack time?

Kenny likes this.
  3. Comcast 200 Mbps Wired connection Wireless would be a bonus No microwave

4. Okay, what's your budget don't want to be recommending $200 routers if all you have is $50

Also what Features are you looking for: In-Home Streaming, tri-band/Quad-band, Wireless N/AC, Open Source compatibility? How many computers are being connected?

General advice is: Netgear, Linksys and Cisco (this being the high end of the high end(you don't need this)) are the big name brands that are good, Avoid Cheap no name crap (oh and avoid D-link like the plague on a zombie)

Personally I don't use a separate router anymore, as my ISP contracts Netgear to build their modem routers and I've never had any issues before that while using Netgear Routers

5. Ok budget: i d be willing to go into the 200-300 if it will last quite a while. rental is $10 a month so that would mean the router would need to outlast that and be worth it price wise.

features: Im fine with normal features, wifi built in would be nice but mainly looking for speed to match 200Mbps. Only 1 computer is hooked up.

6. Ok top end of your budget is this: NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900

It's overkill on the modem speed but it will last awhile and for a few upgrades (from what i know of Comcast)

Next step down on the list NETGEAR AC1750

It's about $50 cheaper but still overkill on modem speed

for a cheap option NETGEAR N450

It still meets all the requirements, but it will prob need upgrading if they ever upgrade your internet speed

7. i like the look and price of the middle ground one, looks promising

8. Comcast.. you pay a rental fee for there modem.. ( atleast I do ) so take it the fuck back, and get a new one.. no questions asked..