The machine you've always wanted

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by miikee, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Just to play devils advocate, yes the iMac Pro is not geared for gamers. Not like anything Apple is. But the iMac pro is actually a really good deal for workstation users.

This is a Lenovo Workstation configured to the Imac Pro's base specs which some specs you cant even get the Lenovo to and the iMac Pro is about $2300 cheaper considering it comes with a 5k monitor built in.

[​IMG]

2. Then, you have custom workstations like this.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6PbBpb

The one I put together here has everything minus the monitor. Add that and the price comes out to $6401.

Plus, my build is using the Broadwell-E chip, same core count, MUCH higher clock speeds. For a workstation, this would be the ultimate setup. Could save even more money if you opted for a 4k screen.

Only thing missing is the ECC RAM and from my understanding of it, its mostly used for server environments. Using a Xeon CPU is a waste of money imo. They are slower clocked and cannot be overclocked. Since the iMac's are running windows, you're effectively paying for the form factor, which is also a waste of money.

Antivanity likes this.
  3. Paying for the name is what it all boils down too.

4. Again you guys are looking at this wrong. The iMac Pro is NOT for consumers like you and I. It is for schools/businesses needing to develop and code on. They are not going to shift through newegg and Amazon trying to find the best deals on parts and then order enough to build the multiple workstations they are needing and then spend more time putting all the workstations together once the parts arrive. Don't forget wasting more time waiting for the parts to arrive at different times from different vendors.

No, they are going to order the number of prebuilt they need and the new iMac Pro is pretty much the best spec'ed and the best price you can get.

When it comes to developing and such like the iMac Pro is designed for, Ghz is not everything. There is also a reason for the Xeon and ECC ram as this guy on Reddit explains.

Would or more SHOULD you personally buy the iMac Pro? No way. It is a waste and really a downgrade for what you would use it for over making a custom machine but it is PERFECT prebuilt for what a lot of developers require.

miikee likes this.
  5. Everyone should have a door stop =)

Antivanity and miikee like this.
  6. Now with a Turbo Powered Vag Warmer..
    [​IMG]

So I think I would rather have a HP Envy.. get Hp to put a Xoen in it.. and BAM !.. upgraded iMac..

Rustedsp00n likes this.
  7. Businesses and schools still have to pay for them. Even buying a pre-built that isn't Xeon is a better deal. Xeon is mainly for server workloads, using them for anything else is is waste of money. Same with ECC RAM.

Most of the point from reddit was for a workstation GPU, which will work on any motherboard.

@hammy Love to develope on Macs.

8. Schools get macs way below retail btw. When i went to grad school we got discounts on macs...

9. Miikk33's new haircut.......

[​IMG]

KedsDead and Antivanity like this.
  10. To bad we cant permanently assign that to his TS avatar..