The machine you've always wanted

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by miikee, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Actually, it's a workstation class Mac. However it's still a Mac. It's still from Apple. And it runs OSX. Dell Precision beats it value per dollar all day. Throw on RHEL or Ubuntu and you're ready to crunch some shit. We just bought 5 and they topped out at about 6 grand each. Pcie M.2 1TB drives. 128 GB RAM. Quadro M2000 graphics. 3.8 GHz 8 core Xeon processors.

Enthusiast rigs typically focus on gaming. And they're great. I have an iBuyPower rig that I kid of like, but I don't have

2. That's a badly 'shopped surface. Look at the corners.

3. yuck -- lenovo
    free rootkit for chinese cyber forces to browse your shit

4. Thunderbolt card is $120 add on for PCs.

5. Enthusiast grade chips are overclockable versions of Xeons. X299 stuff. They are generally cheaper and the only thing that you can't really have with them is ECC memory. Otherwise, it would be a wiser idea imo. It would also be cheaper.

6. I've stopped keeping up. I run without overclocking. Time, the time and instability (more time) take away from my usage. So ...

As for workstations, I have 4 in my cube. Mine and three for deployment. Big fun. Mine is 5 yrs old. The other three are current gen.