Upgrade Plans for this Fall... (build-along!)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Krazie_Ivan, Sep 17, 2017.

1. so, my rig has gotten old & i want more from it than it's capable of - gaming, recording, vid editing, & streaming. also, my very good airflow case's fan controller is going out, so all 14 120mm non-PWM fans are stuck on high. this displeases my GF, who can hear it downstairs over the TV (my case sits out in the hallway, keeping my room cool & quiet). i'd like to upgrade it to something more efficient that will allow for near-endless configurations going forward (i can't fit a hybrid GPU in my current one the way i'd like).

this is what i've got so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Liquid Freezer 360 74.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.48 @ OutletPC)
    Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste ($11.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock - X370 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($111.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($157.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
    Storage: Toshiba - X300 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
    Video Card: XFX - Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) (Purchased For $0.00)
    Video Card: XFX - Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) (Purchased For $0.00)
    Case: Thermaltake - Core X9 ATX Desktop Case ($139.13 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.89 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
    Case Fan: Thermaltake - CL-F015-PL20BL-A 129.6 CFM 200mm Fan ($13.99 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC - F12 PWM PST - Value Pack 74.0 CFM 120mm Fans ($20.98 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC - F12 PWM PST - Value Pack 74.0 CFM 120mm Fans ($20.98 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Asus - VE248H 24.0" 1920x1080 Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
    Monitor: BenQ - XL2411Z 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
    Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $0.00)
    Headphones: Audio-Technica - ATH-AD700X Headphones (Purchased For $0.00)
    Other: SilverStone PWM Fan Hub System Cables, Black (CPF04) ($14.44 @ Amazon)
    Other: SilverStone PWM Fan Hub System Cables, Black (CPF04) ($14.44 @ Amazon)
    Other: ARCTIC F14 PWM, 140 mm PWM Case Fan, Case Fan with 4 Pins Plug, 140mm PWM Speed Control & Fluid Dynamic Bearing ($9.85 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Other: ARCTIC F14 PWM, 140 mm PWM Case Fan, Case Fan with 4 Pins Plug, 140mm PWM Speed Control & Fluid Dynamic Bearing ($9.85 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Other: Rosewill 437.5mm x 325mm Mousepad (Purchased)
    Total: $1269.75
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-17 12:44 EDT-0400

potentially, the i7-8700k could replace the 1700 Ryzen... but only if it's not just another 5820k/6800k revision (seems likely from leaks, so far). it'd also need real TIM, not the crappy paste & heat issues.

i'd like a hybrid GPU... 1070 performance or better ...but it's just not likely in the budget due to mining price bumps. plus i refuse to pay $500+ for Nvidia's cut-down midrange ***04 chips that they market as high-end. due to 3 generations of rebranding the 7970's, they are now more powerful than a GK104 (GTX680), which puts a pair in x-fire somewhere around R290X/R390X, GTX980, & GTX1060 3gb performance. not great, but not junk i guess either... they will have to suffice for a while longer.

#1 Krazie_Ivan, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Kenny likes this.
  2. Well.. So you just want to replace everything? no.. I see some 0 costs up there.. Whats wrong with your current case..? It has 14 fans in it, so that tells me it is rather large.. Why not get a new Fan Hub Controller..? They are cheap.. Most new motherboards allow you to set power/speed curves for temperature on the CPU and System in the bios.. That alone will save you over $200 bucks.. And your operating system.. Windows, you selling the old one? no, then dont buy another..o_O Thats another $100 bucks..

As for the 8700k.. I dont think it will be faster than the Ryzen chip.. I think you could drop down to a 6 core chip and be perfectly happy.. Keep in mind that the Ryzen will only be faster at your video editing, and such.. for games Intel is currently still faster..

3. the current case (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103042) is/was pretty great for what i built last time; with an avg ambient of 28c, my CPU games at 38-41c with an AIO front-mounted push/pull ...the GPUs sit around 51-54c (single or lower slot) & 53-57c for upper card in x-fire. but i have to run the side case fans med/high when gaming even before the controller started to die, which makes a ton of noise. id' like to run a hybrid GPU for 43c temps with the case fans near silent. the major flaws & reasons i'd like to change the case going forward are:
    (#1) it's a normal-width tower, so the top/rear/side fans would interfere with each-other or not cool my VRMs if i tried to add a hybrid GPU in the future (which would further reduce airflow out)
    (#2) air pressurization imbalance - too much in, not enough out - creates buffeting & dust issues
    (#3) running this many fans (.25amp/ea) through MOBO headers (1amp) can't be done w/o a powered hub, unless i sprung for a MOBO with 4-5 fan headers plus the CPU/Pump/Sys header.

i'm on Win7 Ultimate (YARR! Edition...wink-wink), & i'm reading it limits the R7 in a bunch of stuff. i really don't want to buy an OS, but looks like this may be my 1st in 20yrs :/

if i8700k OC's to 4.8ghz w/o added voltage, games at <50c with an AIO cooler, beats an i7700k by 30% in gaming, & falls halfway between OC'd i7700k & R1700 in productivity ...then i'd buy one for $325-ish. but my current bet is 10-15% faster than an i6800k, loads of heat & voltage to OC, & $390msrp, lol.

also, watch Volta GTX**80 cost $675 but only beat the 1080ti by 15%... & everyone will still rave about it tho it's just a mid-range cut-down ***04 chip, a new $1300 Titan (or whatever) on a still cut-down ***02 chip 6mo later, then the full ***00 chip GTX**80Ti after that for $1,000. no competition is depressing AF.

4. I'd say you would still be better off buying a Ryzen cpu.. If you have to overclock a 8700k to 4.8ghz just to get it to be as fast as the current 7700k in gaming, and be slower at the other tasks you want to do with it.. Cost more, uses more power ect ect ect.. I would take the 10-15 fps loss, and gain the productivity from the cheaper CPU.. because thats all it is.. 10-15 fps.. << is that worth 50-100 bucks..

As for the case.. I like the Thermaltake case.. I really do.. its just a rip off copy of the Case Labs Merlin case.. only cheaper..

5. First off, the mainstream(Zx70) chips ALWAYS outperform the enthusiast(X299) chips from Intel in gaming. Single core performance is always better. 7700k vs 8700k, automatic 50% performance increase just because of 2 extra cores, then add your 8-10% IPC. I'm always going to suggest Intel, even with Ryzen out. I don't think the first chips from Ryzen are worth it, the update to them should be much better across the board. They forced Intel's hand with more cores, which is good for us.

You can go to https://www.kinguin.net/ and pick up a copy of Win10 for $30. I just did it, works fine. Antivanity has done it a ton of times as well. Reliable and cheap. I got the home edition for $30, the pro version is $32.

Do you really need that big of a case? I had the exact same one, wire management is shit and its a flimsy box of crap(not trying to be a dick, just telling it like it is). The vertical GPU option was the only cool part about it, otherwise the case is horrible.
    [​IMG]

There are cheaper, much better cases on the market. Some examples would be Fractal Design Meshify C, Fractal Define C and the Phanteks Evolv. Phanteks makes fantastic cases. I did this build here, with a Fractal Define Mini C. AIO on CPU and GPU, worked awesome for a MicroATX case and was super silent(has foam padding to dampen noise). The higher end Phantek cases usually come with a PWM fan hub build right in.
    [​IMG]

With a smaller ATX case, you won't need as many fans to cool and it won't be loud with better built cases. Do you need a hybrid cooled GPU? I have an MSI 1070, fans dont spin up till after 62C and never go above 68 degree's once they are on.

Antivanity likes this.
  6. I also don't think anything above a 1070 is worth it for 1080p. With an OC, the 1070 should be able to push 144fps.

7. you did a terrible job with positioning your coolers in that case Army.. and with any large case, you need cable extensions.. I know.. I have a Air 540 case, and have extensions everywhere.. I do agree however with the not needing a case that large.. I for one and rethinking my build, and plan on putting it in a smaller case. I dont need 2 radiators in my loop to cool what I am using.. All that aside, I think the 8700k is a 5830k with a die shrink and a clock boost. All the IPC gains will come from the higher clock rates.. I get the same single core performance from my 5820k, as the 8700k leaks have suggested, as my current clock rates of 4.3ghz.. It is clocked at 4.2 out of the box.. no huge performance increase there.. I also think the 4 core models of the 8k series will be the gaming kings..

Ryzen is still better than INTEL in everything except gaming.. So Army is right, if all you want to do is game, then spend the extra money and get the best gaming CPU.. but... If you going to video render, stream, encode, compile or do pretty much anything other than gaming... AMD is by far the better bang for your buck..

Just remember to get what ever makes you happy.. All this bantering between me and Army is just information to help you make that decision. Army is will point out, at some point, that I root for AMD, because I like competition. However I own INTEL and Nvidia.

And Army.. Cable management in a large case, isnot that hard.. Here take a look..
    [​IMG]

8. [​IMG]

For comparison. That case is way too fucking big. Get all the extensions you want, that case can fit two EATX mobo's in it and there's no place to hide cables. The top rad slots can take 480mm radiators, its overkill.

In which case(radiator placement)? If you're talking the bigger one, it didn't matter where I placed them. As for the smaller one, they worked great and performed well. So, lick my ass.

8700k drops in the beginning of October and I'm willing to bet it will blow X99 chips out of the water. I highly doubt they will be over $350 and if they aren't, I would take it over the Ryzen chip.

I'll be going with the i5-8600k. 6 cores and 6 threads is more than enough to do the video editing that I do and should be a fantastic overclocker. Especially after being delidded. I don't have to say anything about the gaming for Intel, thats quite obvious.

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/delid?variant=45398763660

Here's one example of a Phanteks case if you don't need the hybrid gpu. This is the case I will be springing for later.

Antivanity likes this.
  9. sweet - thx, i'll give that a try.

sorta... i'm in Phx, so every bit counts. air volume; harder/longer for components to heat up the larger area, easier to slowly exchange that air quietly. a low-octave whoosh from many fans at very low speed is preferable to high-pitched whine from fewer fans at higher speeds, even if overall decibels are equal.

i'll check out the other cases you suggested, thx for taking the time, but the TT X9 does get great pro & amateur reviews for cooling efficiency & layout design options (granted, QC seems to be the one randomly negative factor). i just don't want to be limited by the case when i upgrade parts, & i'm not concerned with size as a drawback in-itself.

the build pic looks clean, but i see what Ked's getting at there. i figure you put your GPU rad as intake to keep it cooler, but it's dumping hot air for the other components in the lil case. that's part of why i want enough room for both GPU/CPU rads in exhaust, but w/o being the only exhaust path... all the other components won't be able to affect the vast volumes of air being circulated through, so the 2 rads will have nearly the same amount of "fresh" cool air as if they were in an intake position. that's also really important to me for VRM health, which most people seem to overlook even if they know enough to OC.

also, from 20+yrs of building/modding custom rigs, this whole flat-panel & tempered glass infatuation by the industry has me rollin! i don't mind the RGB fad... we did it with stupid cold cathodes & shit, but block airflow for aesthetic reasons? dumb.

10. Temps for the GPU were at 42C at full load with a 2.2Ghz OC. CPU never went over 55C with a Corsair H60(6600k @ 4ghz). Airflow with that case(the microATX case) was great. I had the top closed off and that bottom fan gave the intake on the reference style vrm cooling enough flow. That system was in FL and we kept the temps in the 70's. 14 fans seems extreme but with the older AMD stuff, I get it, they are space heaters. Once you switch over to Green, temps won't be as much of an issue. It sat on the desk right next to me and my Blue Yeti mic didn't ever pick up the noise from the fans. My current case (S340) is loud. My mic picks it up and I can slightly hear it through my closed headphones.

I'm happy they finally took notice and removed the CD drive/HDD cages. I haven't used more than 3 drives ever and I haven't put a CD into a PC in about a decade. I had to put that EVGA hybrid on myself, it was a cool experience. I don't think the temps were worth it. I've owned the MSI Gaming X cards since the 770 and they are not loud in the slightest bit. They also keep the temps below 70C in every enviroment I've been in.

I like the way cases are going. If you enjoy modding cases, I would truly give Phanteks a look. They assemble all their cases with screws, no rivets anywhere except for the bottom. Super modular cases and extremely well built.

Kenny likes this.