Upgrade Plans for this Fall... (build-along!)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Krazie_Ivan, Sep 17, 2017.

1. i know you're a fan of intel & nvidia, & think i'm an AMD fanboy... but... they've ALL had horrid space-heater models pretty evenly through each company's history. Maxwell/Pascal are great designs in that regard vs Vega especially, & Hawaii wasn't much different ...but GTX780ti, 480/580, 7900, 4600ti, etc weren't cool at all. Athlon1800, P3, 2500+Barton, P4, 975BE, Q-d, FX9***, i9 chips run hot... K6, Athlon 64, AthlonX2, AthlonX4, Devil's Canyon, FX83** run pretty cool. my FX8320 @4.2ghz won't breach 25c over ambient while runnin Prime with an AIO. GTX680 & 7970's are about the same temp-wise, even in consumption. ((fun fact that has little to do with this thread but i recently came across it... 680 beat the 7970ghz by 7-9% when it launched, but the 7970 beats a 680 by nearly 20% now. rebrands play a part, but the 770 was just a 680 rebranded too. so 3gens of AMD vs 2gens of Nvid))

when i said VRM, i was thinking MOBO ...not so much on the graphics pcb where each vendor's specific cooling design plays more a role.

i like a disk drive for certain things, but those uses are coming further between for me. think i'm ditching it finally. i'll likely add more HDDs over time tho, & wait for m.2 to really take off (better all-round perf & lower $/Gb)

i like Phanteks design & attn to detail, but none of their sub-$150 cases really grab my cooling efficiency goat. i had to cut my current one to stuff the 240mm X 38mm rad, plus 38mm & 25mm push/pull fans in the front of it. every case i've ever owned before it got cut for larger/more fans, screens, lifted feet, and carry handles way back in the day (LAN parties...i'm old...damn.).

2. Krazie_Ivan likes this.
  3. reading a ton today for the release, & i see a lot of yes/no with this CPU...

consumption, temps & costs:
    - all Ryzen 1700's with included stock cooler hit 3.8-4.0ghz (about 100mhz under OC'd 1800x), at around 68c (22c ambient) under Prime95. $270 amazon sale price + can OC on $80 B350 mobo. = $350
    - review sample 8700k's require 240mm AIO water cooling (+$90-120) to hit 4.8-5.1ghz... but look at 94c with a -20c Chiller under Prime95. $360 msrp + req $160 Z370 mobo to OC. = $610-640
    - due to continued use of shitty TIM instead of solder, temps are still high ...and outrageous even under powerful water cooling once the K-chip is OC'd.
    - 8700k + Z370, vs 8700 on B or H-series mobo avail next year. = $120 continuation of the bullshit OC tax.
    - package wattage consumption is 40% higher on 8700k vs 1700.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1080p gaming:
    - older DX11 titles... 8700k has 11% avg lead in FPS over 1700.
    - newer DX12 & Vulkan titles... 8700k has 7% avg lead in avg FPS, less in minimums.
    - top-notch gaming results, but i expected far better. smoother than 7700k (fewer/smaller dips) & generally a bit faster, but pretty close in most titles.

mixed bag of results in productivity:
    - essentially the 8700k does the same (if single) or much better (if threaded) than a 7700k. some programs favor threads (still 1700), some favor clocks (7700 or 8700), and some are very well mixed (where 8700k shines).

TL;DR ...it's a bit disappointing, & AMD have already shown they can/do drop prices (Intel is stubborn to retain illusion of value - mindshare tactic). i might even keep my current rig another year if holiday sales aren't stellar, esp with RAM & GPU markets this borked. bleh.

4. holy shit - i just realized none of this matters as the launch today was solely intended by Intel to pump the brakes on AMD's increasing market-share...

there's almost no supply of K-chips & won't be till late Q1 of 2018 -nearly a paper-launch.
    production binning means they can cut-down the majority of early-run silicon to sell as lower-tier products.
    only Z370 mobo's avail (no B/H) cause they wanted to ensure mfgs prioritized for the most reviewed chips, the K-series.
    the only people who will have them (those who can afford the mark-up due to scarcity) are the hardest of endowed Intel fans, who will sing it's praises in forums.
    anyone on the fence will see favorable reviews & hold-off while Intel can ramp-up production, instead of buying Ryzen over the coming months (holiday shopping season).
    Intel knows Coffee will eat Kaby sales, & Ryzen has already been steadily munching, so Intel decided to take losses sooner to retain mindshare.
    those who ponder a new build while waiting for 8700k/8600k stock, will hear rumors of 8c/16t on Z390 in H2'18 - which is also an obvious scheme to buy more time.

Intel really wasn't sandbagging all these years, they got caught with their pants down & are in full panic-mode - strategizing how to BS their way through a slump again, like '01-'06. amazing. (ask me about con-trails! lol)

KedsDead likes this.
  5. I plan on buying from here. https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all

Getting a delidded and pre-binned chip is well worth it. The delidding process brings temps down 20 degree's from what I've seen on this chip. From all the gaming benchmarks I've seen, the i5-8400 destroys most of the chips in gaming and has enough cores to do the editing and other shit I do but I prefer to OC so the 8600k will do the trick.

I don't see it that way on getting caught with their pants down. Chips don't just get made overnight. Did they have to release a little sooner than expected? Yes, of course.

Would I tell someone who is looking long term for gaming superiority, still with Intel. i5-8400 looks great at $182 and outperforms the 1700 with 2 less core and 2 less threads.

These guys tested their chip with probably the worst OC luck ever. Well worth the watch.